Getting Involved & Personal Responsibility
There are many ways that staff and students can help reduce the University's impact on the environment; here is a reminder of a few good practice points and tips:
Note: If you'd like to find out more about the broader actions and initiatives at the University - click here.
- Conserve energy (e.g. by switching off PCs, monitors, lights and other non essential equipment when not in use, particularly before going home).
- Conserve water (e.g. by turning off taps after use and reporting dripping taps at Main Reception).
- Dispose of waste and litter correctly, using designated bins. (There's also Reduce, Re-use, Recycle)
- Get active and leave the car at home: try an alternative travel mode to get to work or campus - click here to find out more
- Consider the surrounding neighbours and community when planning and carrying out activities (e.g. noise or odour).
- Minimise air pollution by switching of vehicles and equipment when not in use.
- Only use oils and chemicals in controlled and designated areas; Do not pour chemicals, oils, contaminated water, etc down sinks or drains.
- Get involved: If you have an idea how the university could further improve, or would like to take part in an environmental project, let us know.
- Report all environmental incidents and complaints immediately to your line manager or Main Reception (click here for How):
You can find out more by:
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Travel and Transport