Registering with a GP 


If you are from outside Cardiff and moving to the area, you will need to register with a local General Practice (GP); it is always best to do this before you become ill. No matter how well you get on with your current practitioner, he or she cannot continue to provide you with a service from Land’s End, John O’Groats or even Bridgend or Pontypridd if you are living in Cardiff.

You will be able to see your old GP as a temporary patient when you return home in the holidays.

How to register with a GP

Using the lists below

  • find a surgery allocated to your Halls or near to where you will be living .
  • Visit this surgery taking your NHS card (if you do not have this, the address of your current GP is essential).
  • Ask to register with the practice, stating that you are a student.

If you are still unable to find a GP in your area who will register you, you will need to


  • your full name,
  • date of birth,
  • previous address(home),
  • current address (Cardiff) and 
  • the name and address of your current GP.

If you are new to the UK then also include

  • date of entry to the UK and
  • country of birth.

The centre will then send you, through the post, the address of the practice you are to be registered with and any further information you need.

Where to register

Cyncoed Campus
Minster Surgery Roath

With the exception of Howard Gardens students, if you are living in the Minster Surgery catchment area you can register at the Cyncoed Campus Medical Centre (NB All students living on Cyncoed Campus are automatically eligible to register).

Minster Surgery staff are available at Cyncoed Campus Medical Centre Monday, Wednesday and Friday 12.30pm-1.15pm during term time, no appointments necessary. Due to the nature of the service you are not able to register and be seen by the Doctor on the same day.

Howard Gardens students living in the Minster Surgery catchment must not register at Cyncoed Campus Medical Centre but, if they wish, can register at and use Minster Surgery, Minster Rd, Roath. Tel: 029 20473999
Students living at Liberty Bridge are also eligible to register at Minster Road 

The Local Health Board has arranged for the following surgeries to accept students.

Liberty House:
St Isan Rd Surgery, 46 St Isan Rd, Heath Tel:029 20524140

Liberty Cambrian Point
City Surgery, 187 City Rd, Roath. Tel 029 20437980

Liberty Court:
Llwynbedw Medical Centre, 82-86 Caerphilly Rd, Heath. Tel: 029 20521222

Plas Gwyn Halls:
Llandaff Surgery,19a High St, Llandaff. Tel: 02920576675

Liberty Seven Point
North Rd Medical Practice, 182 North Rd, Gabalfa. Tel: 029 20619188

Victoria Halls
City Surgery, 187 City Rd, Roath. Tel 029 20437980

Other surgeries allocated Cardiff Metropolitan University students
Brynderwen Surgery, Crickhowell Rd, St Mellons. Tel: 029 20839703

Other surgeries accepting students
Roath House Surgery, 100 Penylan Rd, Roath. Tel:029 20461100

Albany Surgery,219-221 City Rd, Roath. Tel: 029 20486561

Whitchurch Rd Surgery, 210-212 Whitchurch Rd, Heath. Tel: 029 20621282

For help finding a GP in other areas, see your campus nurse or click here

If you encounter any problems registering with a local GP please inform your Campus Nurse.

For the latest updates and information
Cardiff Met student health and wellbeing