Most students will not be eligible to receive Social Security benefits while attending a full-time course. However, the following categories of full-time students can claim benefits whilst attending University:
- Single parent students
- Students who are married or live with a partner as a couple
- A student couple with children
- Disabled students
- Students who are treated as incapable of work
- Students who are state pensioners
- Deaf students in receipt of a Disabled Student Allowance
- Students who are waiting to go back on a course, having taken approved time out because of an illness or caring responsibility and this has now come to an end.
Some students may be eligible to apply for benefits under more than one category.
The Student Finance & Welfare Advisers have produced a broad overview of benefit entitlement for students with children and for disabled students.
It is a student's responsibility to inform the Benefits Agency as soon as they become a full-time student. Failure to do so may cause a large overpayment and/ or an accusation of benefit fraud.
HMRC Tax Credits
Cardiff Council Housing Benefit
Benefit Chnages Timetable
Turn 2 Us