We play a major role in the development of dance education and training across Wales, especially dance which takes place in education and community contexts.
Graduates have proven to be successful in gaining employment and developing individual practice within the dance industry.
The BA (Hons) Dance
• Is the first single honours dance degree in Wales.
• Contemporary dance is the main focus of the course
• Forms part of the strategic framework for specialist dance education and training in Wales
• Is designed to meet the needs of the rapidly developing dance industryand retain currency in it's delivery and practice
• Develops creative, reflective and independent dance practitioners.
• Develops research skills and foster collaborative learning and pedagogical practice.
• Provides a balance of academic and vocational studies provides the basis for teaching and learning.
• Enable students to connect with professional dance practice through work based learning opportunities (professional placements) and collaborative performance projects.
• Students work with established Wales based dance companies and artists to contribute choreographic learning and performance practice.
Opportunity to join the student dance company who perform locally and nationally within the UK.
To ensure the vibrancy and relevance of dance at Cardiff Met, dance staff play a significant role in development initiatives and projects in Wales such as:
Acting as advisors and consultants to a range of partners such as the Arts Council for Wales, National Youth Dance Wales, Sports Council of Wales – PE and School Sport Project, Foundation for Community Dance.
Working as partners with Arts Council of Wales and other associated organisations and individuals in meeting recommendations of Welsh Assembly Government Dance Policy Review especially that which relates to dance education and training.
Producing high levels of creative choreography and performance work including a staff member selected for the semi-finals of ‘The Place Prize’, UK’s most prestigious choreographic prize.
Contributing to initial teacher education and training, and continual professional development training initiatives for improving the delivery of dance education in schools.
Serve on management / advisory boards for Wales based dance companies.