BA (Hons) Dance degree
The ethos underpinning dance development and practice at Cardiff Metropolitan University, especially within the dance degree, is a belief in the enriching and distinctive nature of dance, not least its contribution to artistic, aesthetic and cultural experience and education. The value of dance derives from the challenges provided by the discipline embracing:
• Intellectual challenge
• Physical challenge
• Artistic and Emotional challenge
• Personal and Interpersonal challenges
The specialist dance tutors and lecturers
• are aware of, and sensitive to the issues and debates that are topical to dance
• demonstrate broad experiences of creative, performance and teaching based dance work
• actively engage as practitioners, artists, researchers, advisors, consultants and trainers
The dance degree programme has been designed to take account of identified needs in the dance industry, and career opportunities; and aims to develop creative, reflective and independent dance practitioners with good research skills.
Contemporary dance practice is the main focus of the programme with the interrelationship between Dance Theatre, Community Dance and Dance Education forming the core studies. Common to these 3 strands are the concepts of creating and performing dance and the dance infrastructure; these concepts inform the structure and design of the programme.