Top 10 Things to Take to University
UWIC’s Accommodation Services team receives a huge number of calls from new students and their parents in the lead up to the start of a new university term. Callers ask a variety of questions relating to what they should bring with them, which for many students is their first time living away from home.
To make it easier, Sarah Spencer, UWIC’s Accommodation Services Manager, has compiled a ‘Top 10’ list of suggested items to bring:
1) Basic stationery such as paper, pens and pencils, A4 folders, stapler, hole punch etc.
2) If you’ve gone for the self-catering option, take food essentials such as tea and coffee, sugar, bread, milk etc and enough food to last you a few days until you find the nearest supermarket to stock up.
3) Again if you’ve gone for the self-catering option, take kitchen essentials such as cutlery, plates, a kettle, toaster, mugs, drinking glasses, tin opener, corkscrew, washing-up liquid, tea towel, washing powder, scissors.
4) Bathroom and bedroom essentials such as bath and hand towels,wash bag/toiletries, dressing gown, duvet, bedding and coat hangers.
5) Don’t forget to pack a good selection of clothes and shoes, and don’t forget your sports gear if you plan to make the most of the university’s sports facilities.
6) Mobile phone or phone-card to keep in touch with your family and friends.
7) Passport photos for registration and signing up for clubs and societies etc.
8) Things to brighten up your room such as photos, lamp, rug, cushions, stereo, and maybe a portable TV if you have one – but don’t forget to get a TV licence too!
9) ID documents e.g. passport and your NHS card for registering with the university doctor when you arrive.
10) And finally... that 100% essential item, the alarm clock, so that you’re not late for any of those 9am lectures!