Accommodation and Arrival 


The International Office is very pleased to advise and assist international students from countries outside of the EU to arrange accommodation in Cardiff.

Most students studying in Cardiff stay in the University halls of residence, private halls of residence or in a shared house or flat.

There are two Cardiff Met-owned halls of residence which are conveniently located to accommodate students studying on any of our three campuses. Rooms at Plas Gwyn halls are allocated to students studying at the Llandaff and Howard Gardens Campuses and rooms at Cyncoed halls are allocated to students studying at the Cyncoed Campus.

Plas Gwyn Halls - Llantrisant Road, Llandaff, Cardiff, CF5 2XJ
The Plas Gwyn campus is located in the small, pleasant cathedral 'city' of Llandaff, which is approximately two miles from Cardiff city centre and walking distance from the Llandaff Campus. All of the single study bedrooms are self-catered and have en suite bathroom facilities.

Cyncoed Halls - Cyncoed Road, Cardiff, CF23 6XD
The Cyncoed Halls are conveniently located within the grounds of the Cyncoed study campus. The halls contain single study bedrooms, some self-catering facilities whilst others have meals included in the price of the room. International students tend to prefer the self-catered accommodation so they can cook their favourite meals.

Facilities for both halls include on site laundry, data room and communal TV room with vending machines. The halls are in close proximity to shopping, banking and other facilities and students can also take advantage of the sports and leisure facilities at the Llandaff campus as well as the extensive sports and recreational facilities located at the Cyncoed campus, including an indoor swimming pool, Students' Union bar/disco, indoor tennis centre and fitness suite.

Halls of residence accommodation is very popular and due to the limited availability of rooms, they are allocated on a first come first served basis. We therefore advise you to book as soon as possible and before the booking deadline shown on the booking forms and the' important dates' section below. Students are only permitted to apply for University accommodation once they have firmly accepted their unconditional offer.

In order to book a room in halls of residence it is absolutely essential that you pay a deposit of £500 and complete and return your accommodation booking form to the International Office, before the deadline (as stated on the form). Without this it will not be possible to reserve a room for you.

Please note: Students are only permitted to apply for University accommodation once they have received and accepted their unconditional offer.

September/October 2014 courses - the booking deadline has now passed for the halls of residence. Please contact for accommodation information. 

5. Can my family stay with me in the halls of residence?

Unfortunately, the answer is no. The rooms are all single study bedrooms and are therefore not suitable accommodation for students living with children and family members. However, the International Office will offer advise you how to find more appropriate privately rented accommodation.

Costs and instalment deadlines for payment of rent can be found on the accommodation booking form.

All rooms have high-speed, unlimited internet access, wireless and IPTV included in the halls fees. All kitchens have a communal TV with Freeview. All electricity, gas and water bills are also included and students staying at halls of residence will be automatically exempt from paying Council tax.

You do not need to bring bedding with you, you can purchase this from your halls of residence (for approximately £22) when you arrive. The package will include a pillow and duvet with covers and bed sheets. You will also need to provide your own cooking utensils, plates, cups etc and these can be easily and inexpensively purchased from a supermarket when you arrive in Cardiff.

Payments for your deposit can be made using any of the following methods:

Make a money order/demand draft payable to 'Cardiff Metropolitan University' and send it by post together with your accommodation booking form .Please note: photocopies of money orders/demand drafts will not be accepted as deposits. Only when the original money order/demand draft is received before the closing date will a room be booked in halls of residence.

By credit card. Please supply us with the following details: Type of card: Visa/MasterCard (we are unable to accept American Express),card number, expiry date, last 3 digits of the security number on reverse of the card (if applicable) and the name as it appears on the card. If you wish to pay your deposit by credit card, please complete the credit card section on your accommodation booking form and return the form. If you are paying by credit card, please let your credit card company know that a payment will be made in the UK.

By bank transfer. Please complete the relevant section on your accommodation booking form once the bank transfer has been completed.

The halls fees can also be paid using the same method. Please note that for security reasons, the university is not able to accept cash.

The average cost of private accommodation, depending on the type of property, ranges from approximately £180-£500+ per month. The average student pays approximately £200 per month (excluding energy bills, these are usually paid separately).

If you choose to live in privately rented accommodation, you will be invited to an accommodation seminar which is hosted by the International Office during the international student induction weekend. The International Office has lists of rooms, flats and houses available to rent. This list will be made available to you on your arrival and the staff will be happy to advise you on how to find an appropriate place to live.

It is not advisable to try to arrange accommodation in the private sector prior to arrival as students must be sure that the accommodation suits their needs before signing a legally binding contract. You will need to live in temporary accommodation whilst looking for accommodation that you can rent.
If you are arriving in September or October 2014 and wish to stay in temporary accommodation please complete the Temporary Accommodation Booking Form and send it to .

July MBA and CSM Summer School Students

We recommend that students take advantage of the short term halls of residence contract of nine weeks over the summer period. In the past students have benefited from the short term contract to experience life living within halls of residence in order to make a decision about whether they would like to extend their accommodation contract further. Alternatively, students may choose to search for privately rented accommodation (off campus) whilst being reassured that they have nine weeks of accommodation secured at university halls.

If you wish to search for alternative accommodation and therefore, you choose to not book a room at halls of residence,  you will need to pre-arrange temporary accommodation for your arrival. The International Office can recommend a range of temporary accommodation options which may be suitable for you, please email for further information.

Please note: As halls of residence accommodation is for single occupancy only, students arriving with family members will require alternative accommodation, please email for further information.


Yes! It is usual practice in the UK to sign a contract before moving into your accommodation. It is recommended that you do so in order to ensure that both you and the landlord understand what is expected of them.

In Cardiff Met's halls of residence, basic personal contents insurance cover is included for each resident. Details of your cover are provided within your welcome pack at arrival. Should you wish to make an insurance claim you will need to contact the insurance company directly. If you choose to live in the private sector, we recommend that you get contents insurance for your belongings.

Halls of Residence

Private Accommodation

If you are coming to Cardiff Met on your own, Halls of Residence will be suitable for you.

If your family are coming to live with you whilst you are studying in Cardiff Met you will be able to find very suitable accommodation in the private sector.

You will have the security of pre-booking your accommodation for the year before you arrive in Cardiff.

You may be coming to Cardiff with a group of your friends and you all want to live together.

All rooms are of a high standard and have their own bathroom.

There is a wide variety of private accommodation to suit all.

The rent is fixed for the year and includes all energy bills and internet connection.

You can find private accommodation to suit all budgets.

Why not take a look at our Halls of Residences by taking a vitual tour of the University facilities.

Further details about getting settled in Cardiff

Before you receive a course specific induction programme, Cardiff Metropolitan's International Office will provide a free international Student Induction Programme. It has been designed to provide you with the essential information that you will need before you start student life at Cardiff Metropolitan and to help you settle in to your new lifestyle. Students find the International Student Induction Programme very beneficial as it is designed to help answer any doubts or questions that students may have about life in Cardiff, their studies at Cardiff Met and living in a foreign country. It traditionally takes place on the Saturday and Sunday before new students are due to enrol at the University. The dates will be confirmed to you via email once you have accepted your offer to study with us. The Induction programme specifically designed for international students will include:

  • A welcome and introduction by members of the International Office team
  • Information about studying in Cardiff Metropolitan and its facilities
  • Enrolment instructions
  • Information about opening a bank account
  • Details of your social programme
  • Tour of Cardiff
  • An accommodation seminar to assist you in finding accommodation in the private sector
  • A question and answer session
  • A meal with your fellow students and International Office staff.

The exact programme, venue and times, will be sent to you before you arrive in the UK when arrangements have been confirmed. We strongly recommend that you arrive in Cardiff in time to attend the International Student Induction Weekend. Students who have attended in the past have said that it was an excellent time to meet their new classmates, explore Cardiff, learn how to find accommodation in the private sector and get all of their questions answered before they started their studies

In order to officially become a member of the student body at Cardiff Metropolitan University, it will be necessary for you to enrol and you can do this on arrival at the university.

Before you enrol the International Office will need to check your passport and visa as we are only permitted to enrol students with a valid visa which permits study at Cardiff Met. It is very important that you also have with you, your CAS statement or acceptance letter which will contain your reference number. This number will be used as your student number throughout your studies.
Important: Your Tier 4 student visa must display Cardiff Metropolitan's sponsor licence number. We are not permitted to enrol students whose Tier 4 visa displays the sponsor licence number of another educational institution.

Sponsored students, will also be expected to provide a sponsorship letter to prove that an organisation has agreed to pay their fees.

Course Fees - You will be expected to pay at least 60% of your fees during the first two weeks of enrolling and we recommend that if you have paid all or part of your fees in advance, that you bring with you confirmation of this payment. Please note, if you choose to pay your fees in two instalments (60%/40%), a 5% administration charge will be incurred on the second instalment. To avoid any charges, we recommend that you pay your fees in full in advance or at enrolment.

During the enrolment period, your tutors may ask to see your original academic certificates and copies. Please ensure you have these ready for inspection.

Following enrolment, You will receive your student identity card which will give you access to the university facilities and your course timetable which will enable you to begin your studies.

  • Summary of documents required for enrolment
  • Passport and visa
  • CAS statement or acceptance letter
  • Sponsorship letter (if applicable)
  • Course fees
  • Original academic certificates
Please click here for further information about Social Events.
Please click here for further information about Living in Cardiff.