This includes developing measures of motivation, as well as enhancing motivation, for treatment engagement and change.
One major project is a randomised control trial investigating the effectiveness of a motivation intervention, and another is concerned with motivation for employment, including understanding barriers to employment.
Recent smaller projects have included a comparison of motivational interventions with sex offenders, and also an investigation into motivation in young people in prison (youth offenders aged 15-17).
- Joselyn Sellen
- Daniel Heggs
- Andy Watt
- Jacqui Campbell
- Anna Sweeney
- Iva Nekovarova
- PhD student, Jacqui Campbell. BARS funded. Due to complete September 2009 (DoS, J Sellen; supervisor, A Watt).
- PhD student, Anna Sweeney. Cardiff Metropolitan University funded. Due to complete 2009. (DoS, A Watt; supervisor, L Sanders).
- PhD student, Iva Nekovarova. BARS funded. Currently in year 1 (DoS, D Heggs; supervisor, J Sellen)
- Matthew Gobbett, Forensic Psychologist in Training, NOMS, Cymru
- Professor Mary McMurran, Nottingham University, UK
- Professor Miles Cox, Bangor University, UK
- Professor Eric Klinger, Minnesota University, USA
Selected Conference Presentations
- Sellen, J.L., McMurran, M., Theodosi, E., Cox, M. and Klinger, E. (2009). Validity of the offender version of the Personal Concerns Inventory with adult male prisoners. Psychology, Crime & Law, Vol 15 (5), 451-468.
- McMurran, M., Theodosi, E., Sweeney, A. and Sellen, J. (2008). What do prisoners want? Current concerns of adult male prisoners. Psychology, Crime & Law, 14 (3), 267-274.
- McMurran, M., Sellen, J.L. and Theodosi, E. (2007). The Personal Concerns Inventory: Offender Adaptation (PCI:OA): The structure of offenders’ motivation. In E. Sullivan (Ed.), Offenders’ motivation to change. Issues in Criminological and Legal Psychology, No. 7, pp. 81-87. Leicester: The British Psychological Society.
- McMurran, M., Theodosi, E., & Sellen, J. (2006). Measuring engagement in therapy and motivation to change in adult prisoners: A brief report. Criminal Behaviour & Mental Health, 16 (2), 124-129.
- Sellen, J.L., McMurran, M., Cox, M., Theodosi, E. and Klinger, E. (2006). The Personal Concerns Inventory (Offender Adaptation): Measuring and Enhancing Motivation to Change. International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, 50, 3, 294-305.
- Sellen, Campbell, Gobbett, James & Kearney (2009). Symposium. Motivation for change in offenders, examining the versatility of the Personal Aspirations and Concerns Inventory for Offenders. British Psychological Society, Division of Forensic Psychology. Lancaster, UK.
- Sellen, J.L., McMurran, M., Theodosi, E., Cox, M. and Klinger, E. (2006). Developing the Personal Concerns Inventory for Offenders. Reliability and Validity. International Association of Forensic Mental Health Services Conference, Amsterdam, June, 2006.
- ESRC Seminar series interdisciplinary application with health and addictions. Awarded 2009.