We offer a range of higher education programmes and professional training courses integrating massage, aromatherapy, and reflexology with biological and social sciences, and research methods.
Higher Education Programmes
• BSc (Hons) Complementary Therapies: B390
• BSc (Hons) Complementary Therapies (inc. Foundation): B300
• Diploma in Complementary Therapies (DipHE): B302
• Certificate In Complementary Therapies (CertHE): B301
The BSc (Hons) Complementary Therapies (B390) was established in 2003 and delivers a high quality programme:
• Health sciences make up 100 credits (27.8%) of the programme; about half of this is biological sciences and the rest social sciences. As in all science the emphasis is on evidence-based knowledge.
• Seventy credits (19.4%) of the programme are concerned with research methods and a final year research project. In the research modules, students are required to develop their skills of critical appraisal.
• The bodywork modules which constitute 140 credits (38.9%) also include substantial components of biological science and students are required to make use of research skills within their case studies.
• The remaining 13.9% of the programme is made up of a business module, work placement and student clinic.
Our external examiner has commented on the high quality of the programme:
‘The structure and content of the programme is excellent with a well balanced mix of theory and practice based education to prepare graduates for professional clinical practice as complementary therapists. The programme takes in to consideration the educational requirements of the associated professional bodies however far exceed these in all subject areas… I was also impressed with the work produced by students for the dissertation module, particularly as this requires students to undertake a small research project.’
A Foundation to Science is available for students who wish to complete the BSc (Hons) Complementary Therapies programme but do not have the necessary entry qualifications (B300). For students who wish to study at degree level but do not wish to commit to the three year full-time BSc (Hons) Complementary Therapies, we have introduced a Certificate (B301, one year full-time) and a Diploma (B302, two years full-time) in Complementary Therapies. All of the above programme can also be studied part-time.
Professional Training Courses
Professional Aromatherapy Training Course / Continuing Education Award in Aromatherapy
Professional Holistic Massage Training Course / Continuing Education Award in Holistic Massage
Professional Reflexology Training Course / Continuing Education Award in Reflexology
There are a limited number of places available on the above professional training courses, each of which can be completed in one or two years. The content of these diplomas meets and exceeds the requirements of the professional bodies and students who wish to further their studies can accredit these qualifications towards the BSc (Hons) Complementary Therapies.
All of the above programmes can also be studied part-time.