Dr Barry McDonnell
Dr Barry J. McDonnell
Cardiff School of Health Sciences
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Tel:+44 (0) 29 20 41 6827
Since 2008: Lecturer in Physiology, Cardiff School of Health Sciences, Cardiff Metropolitan University, Cardiff.
Since 2011: Honorary Research Fellow, Australian School of Advanced Medicine, MacQuarie University, Sydney, Australia.
2008: Post Doctoral Researcher at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, with Dr Ian Wilkinson and the Vascular Research Unit.
2007-2008: Post Doctoral Researcher at the Wales Heart Research Institute, Cardiff University, Cardiff, with Professor John Cockcroft.
2003-2007: PhD student in Cardiology, at the Wales Heart Research Institute, Cardiff University, Cardiff, with Professor John Cockcroft.
Membership of Learned Societies
- ARTERY Research
- Wales CVIRG
- Wales Physical Activity, Diabetes and Metabolic Health Research Group
- Blood Pressure Wales
- Wales Cardio-Respiratory Research group
- Anglo Cardiff Collaborative Trial
Dr James Pearson (Post Doctoral/Research Officer; Funding: Research Innovation Award 2012)
Miss Jane Thompson (PhD Student; Funding: KESS Studentship Award 2011)
Mr Stuart Ennis (PhD Student)
Miss Laura Watkeys (co-ordinator and technical demonstrator for the Health Assessment Suite).
Dr McDonnell is a lecturer in physiology within the Cardiff School of Health Sciences.
His main area of interest is cardiovascular health. He is currently involved in a number of ongoing cardiovascular research studies in collaboration with Cardiff University and University of Cambridge in the “Anglo-Cardiff Collaboration Trial”. His research investigates the role of vascular aging on different pathophysiologies (e.g. diabetes, metabolic syndrome, osteoporosis and hypertension) and the importance of increased physical activity as a non pharmacological intervention.
In addition, Dr McDonnell’s research investigates the link between macrovascular haemodynamics and microvascular pulsatility, in collaboration with Australian School of Advanced Medicine, MacQuarie University, Syndney.
Dr McDonnell has recently helped open the Health Assessment Suite in Cardiff Metropolitan University’s Biomedical Science Department, whereby his team undertake the majority of their vascular physiology research. Through the research facilities available in Cardiff Metropolitan University and the Health Assessment Suite, Dr McDonnell is also currently collaborating internally on a number of studies:
• Investigating the relationship between ventricular function and large artery haemodynamics.
• Cellular ageing and arterial stiffness.
• Community based exercise and vascular function.
• Professor John Cockcroft, Dr James Coulson and Margaret Munnery (Cardiff University)
• Dr Ian Wilkinson, Dr Carmel McEniery, Dr Yasmin and Dr Maki Petaja (University of Cambridge)
• Dr Steve Luzio (Swansea University)
• Professor Alberto Avolio and Dr Mark Butlin (Australian School of Advanced Medicine, MacQuarie University, Sydney Australia).
• Dr Jaak Kals, Dr Priit Kampus and Dr Maxim Zagura (University of Tartu, Estonia).
• Professor C. Crandall (Institute for Exercise and Environmental Medicine (IEEM), Dallas, Texas)
Professor Rob Shave, Dr Eric Stohr, Dr Richard Webb, Keith Morris, Andrew Thomas, Professor Jorge Erusalimsky, Dr Lee Butcher and Professor David Russell (Cardiff Metropolitan University).
1. Keeron Stone, Eric Stöhr, Barry McDonnell, Jane Thompson, Michael Harrison, James Cox, Joshua Howard, Gerraint Phillips, John Cockcroft, and Rob Shave. Carotid 2D strain imaging reveals enhanced rate of arterial wall expansion following exercise in high-fit young males. Journal of Applied Physiology 2013. Currently Under Review.
2. McDonnell BJ, Maki-Petaja KM, Yasmin, Wilkinson IB, Cockcroft JR, McEniery CM, Anglo-Cardiff Collaboration Trial Investigators. Habitual exercise and Blood pressure: Age dependency and underlying mechanisms. American Journal of Hypertension 2013; doi: 10.1093/ajh/hps055.
3. Stöhr EJ, McDonnell B, Thompson J, Stone K, Bull T, Houston R, Cockcroft J, Shave R. Left ventricular mechanics in humans with high aerobic fitness: adaptation independent of structural remodelling, arterial haemodynamics and heart rate. J Physiol. 2012 May 1;590(Pt 9):2107-19.
4. Miles KL, McDonnell BJ, Maki-Petaja KM, Yasmin, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB, McEniery CM. The impact of birth weight on blood pressure and arterial stiffness in later life: The ENIGMA Study. J Hypertens. 2011.Oct; 29, in press.
5. Hickson SS, Miles KL, McDonnell BJ, Yasmin, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB, McEniery CM; ENIGMA Study Investigators. Use of the oral contraceptive pill is associated with increased large artery stiffness in young women: the ENIGMA study. J Hypertens. 2011 Jun;29(6):1155-9.
6. Charlotte E. Bolton, Carmel M. McEniery, Vimal Raj, Barry J. McDonnell, Adrian K. Dixon, Margaret Munnery, Ramsey Sabit, Nicholas Screaton, Michael Stone, Ian B. Wilkinson, Dennis J. Shale, John R. Cockcroft. Aortic calcification, arterial stiffness and bone mineral density in patients with COPD. Artery Research. March 2011 (Vol. 5, Issue 1, Pages 30-36)
7. Campbell R, Fisher JP, Sharman JE, McDonnell BJ, Frenneaux MP. Contribution of nitric oxide to the blood pressure and arterial responses to exercise in humans. J Hum Hypertens. 2011 Apr;25 (4):262-70. Epub 2010 May 27.
8. McEniery CM, Yasmin, Maki-Petaja KM, McDonnell BJ, Munnery M, Hickson SS, Franklin SS, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB; Anglo-Cardiff Collaboration Trial Investigators. The impact of cardiovascular risk factors on aortic stiffness and wave reflections depends on age: the Anglo-Cardiff Collaborative Trial (ACCT III). Hypertension. 2010 Oct;56(4):591-7. Epub 2010 Aug 9
9. Charlotte J. Richardson, Kaisa M. Maki-Petaja, Barry J. McDonnell, Stacey S. Hickson, Ian B. Wilkinson, Carmel M. McEniery. Comparison of estimates of central systolic blood pressure and peripheral augmentation index obtained from the Omron HEM-9000AI and SphygmoCor systems. Artery Research. February 2009 (Vol. 3, Issue 1, Pages 24-31)
10. Hickson SS, Butlin M, Mir FA, Graggaber J, Cheriyan J, Khan F, Grace AA, Yasmin, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB, McEniery CM; Anglo-Cardiff Collaboration Trial Investigators. The accuracy of central SBP determined from the second systolic peak of the peripheral pressure waveform. J Hypertens. 2009 Sep;27(9):1784-8.
11. Namasivayam M, McDonnell BJ, McEniery CM, O'Rourke MF; Anglo-Cardiff Collaborative Trial Study Investigators. Does wave reflection dominate age-related change in aortic blood pressure across the human life span? Hypertension. 2009 Jun;53(6):979-85. Epub 2009 Apr 20.
12. McEniery CM, McDonnell BJ, So A, Aitken S, Bolton CE, Munnery M, Hickson SS, Yasmin, Maki-Petaja KM, Cockcroft JR, Dixon AK, Wilkinson IB; Anglo-Cardiff Collaboration Trial Investigators. Aortic calcification is associated with aortic stiffness and isolated systolic hypertension in healthy individuals. Hypertension. 2009 Mar;53(3):524-31. Epub 2009 Jan 26.
13. McEniery CM, Yasmin, McDonnell B, Munnery M, Wallace SM, Rowe CV, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB; Anglo Cardiff Collaborative Trial Investigators. Central pressure: Variability and impact on cardiovascular risk factors: The Anglo-Cardiff Collaborative Trial II. Hypertension, 2008 Jun;51(6):1476-82. Epub 2008 Apr 21.
14. Smith J, McDonnell B, Retallick CJ, McEniery C, Carey C, Davies J.S, Cockcroft JR and Paisey R. Is arterial stiffness in Alstrom syndrome linked to the development of cardiomyopathy. Eur J Clin Invest. 2007;37(2):99-105.
15. Yasmin, McEniery CM, O'Shaughnessy KM, Harnett P, Arshad A, Wallace S, Maki-Petaja K, McDonnell B, Ashby MJ, Brown J, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB.
Variation in the human matrix metalloproteinase-9 gene is associated with arterial stiffness in healthy individuals. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2006 Aug;26(8):1799-805. Epub 2006 May 18.
16. McEniery CM, Wallace S, Mackenzie IS, McDonnell B, Yasmin, Newby DE, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB. Endothelial function is associated with pulse pressure, pulse wave velocity, and augmentation index in healthy humans. Hypertension. 2006 Oct;48(4):602-8. Epub 2006 Aug 28.
17. McEniery CM, Yasmin, Wallace S, Maki-Petaja K, McDonnell B, Sharman JE, Retallick C, Franklin SS, Brown MJ, Lloyd RC, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB; ENIGMA Study Investigators. Increased stroke volume and aortic stiffness contribute to isolated systolic hypertension in young adults. Hypertension. 2005 Jul;46(1):221-6.