Insight into VBI Consortium
A research proposal to create Virtual Biomedicine Institute (VBI) was developed by a Consortium from Africa and Europe. The aim of the VBI was to building a critical mass of sustainable research capacity throughout different countries in Africa, in particular by implementing an effective link between anglophone, francophone, and lusophone countries.
The Consortium members were from,
• Université de Yaounde I (Cameroon)
• University of Ibadan (Nigeria)
• Makerere University (Uganda)
• Manhiça Health Research Centre (Mozambique)
• University of Nairobi (Kenya)
• Université Cheik Anta Diop Dakar (Senegal)
• Institut de la Recherche Scientifique de la Santé (Burkina Faso)
• ICGEB, Capetown (South Africa)
• Institut Pasteur de Madagascar (Madagascar)
• University of Wales Institute Cardiff (UK)
• Stockholm University (Sweden)
• Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam (The Netherlands)
• National Research Council (Italy)
Blue-anglophone countries; Pink - francophone countries; Brown - lusophone countries
The consortium was led by Prof W. Mbacham from the University of Yaounde1 and Prof G. Karani from UWIC.
Although the proposal was not successful, it was decided to hold further meetings with Consortium members to look for ways to strengthen our research and teaching collaboration.