||Senior Lecturer for PGCE Primary (Science)
||Cardiff School of Education
||029 2041 6565
• Pedagogy and Andragogy Research Group (PARG)
• Chair person of the SE Wales Association of Science Education
• Dialogic teaching in primary science
• The potential impact of Forest Schools within primary school
• The pedagogical needs of primary science teachers.
Ruth Coakley is a Senior Lecturer on the PGCE Primary Programme. She is currently responsible for delivering science at KS2 and Knowledge and Understanding of the World at Foundation Phase. She also teaches Religious Education to both age groups. Currently Ruth is completing Level 3 Forest Schools Training. This staff development opportunity complements the two outdoor learning sessions Ruth already runs with PGCE Primary students.
Ruth’s interest in science and outdoor learning began on her undergraduate degree Oceanography with Marine Biology at Southampton University, graduating in 1997. She completed a PGCE in Primary Science in 2000. She spent nine years as a classroom teacher before being seconded to Cardiff Metropolitan in 2009 to work as a primary science tutor. This enabled her to complete a Master’s in Education in 2011. Ruth has also worked as a part of the Professional Studies team at Cardiff Metropolitan.