||Head of Department for Teacher Education and Training
||Cardiff School of Education
||029 2041 6518
• Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
• Member of the General Teaching Council, Wales (GTCW)
• Member of the National Society for Education in Art and Design (NSEAD)
• Member of UCET Secondary Committee
• Wales Representative: GTTR Advisory Board
• Educational Developments in Wales, particularly Initial Teacher Education and Training pre and post Furlong
• Partnership Developments on a regional and pan-Wales basis
• Curriculum development in art and design with particular reference to Curriculum Studies
I taught for 12 years in the secondary education sector initially as an art and design teacher, then Head of Department and finally as Head of a Creative Arts Faculty prior to joining Cardiff Met. I have been a member of the Cardiff School of Education academic staff since 1995.
I believe that good teaching is about effective learning and that during Initial Teacher Education and Training (ITET) programmes it is important that student teachers be given a variety of experience and opportunities to learn new skills and approaches. ITET Programmes at Cardiff Met have very high expectations of and for student teachers in terms of enthusiasm, commitment, reflective practice, subject knowledge and its practical application and creative investment. ITET student teachers are embarking on a journey of enquiry that they will share with many others, not least the children in their charge.
I believe that student teachers (indeed all teachers) need to be positive, well informed and enthusiastic in all they do; to be interested and believe that through effective education they can make a real difference to the lives of the pupils they teach.
• External Examiner - PGCE Art & Design, University of Roehampton (2001-2004)
• External Examiner - PGCE Art & Design, University College Chester (2004-2008)
• External Assessor - Graduate Teacher Programme (Wales)
• External Assessor - Graduate Teacher Programme (England)
• Vice President - NSEAD (2001-2004)
• Chair - UCET Cymru Secondary Working Group (2007 - Nelson)