Students who are permitted to work in the UK will have a statement printed onto their visas or on their Biometric cards to state that employment in the UK is restricted. For example, it may state:

  • “No recourse to public funds Work (and any changes) must be authorised”
  • "Able to work as authorised by the Secretary of State"
  • "Restricted work in term-time"
  • "Work 20 hrs max in term-time"
  • “Work 10 hours max in term-time”

Students who are not allowed to work whilst they are in the UK are given a prohibition stamp in their passport or on their Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) . For example:

  • ‘No work or recourse to public funds’

If you believe that you should have permission to work in the UK during your studies but you have a prohibition stamp in your passport or on your BRP, please contact for advice.

For more information about if you can work in the UK on your Tier 4 visa please see section 318 to 330 of the Tier 4 Policy Guidance. You can also find further useful information on the UKCISA website.

Students who have permission to work in the UK are restricted to working a maximum number of hours during term time.

If a student made their student immigration application before 3rd March 2010, the working restrictions remain unchanged which means that students can work up to 20 hours per week during term-time and full-time hours during the official university vacations.

Please Note: If a student made an immigration application to enter or remain in the UK to study on or after 3rd March 2010, the number of hours they are permitted to work during term time will vary depending on which course they are studying.

Students studying on a course above degree level (e.g., undergraduate degree, postgraduate degree, PhD etc) and those studying on Foundation Degree courses and some HND courses are permitted to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during term-time. During the official university vacations, students can work full-time (unlimited) hours.

Students studying on courses below degree level (e.g. Foundation, pre-sessional courses, some HND courses etc) are permitted to work only 10 hours per week during term-time, however during the official university vacations, these students can also work full-time (unlimited) hours.

No! When post-graduate students start working on their dissertations, although it is no longer necessary to attend regular lectures, they must not work more than 20 hours per week during term time, as this is an illegal offence. During the dissertation phase of the course, students should be concentrating on their research on a full-time basis.

There are a number of ways you can search for a part-time job in Cardiff. Why not regieter with some employment agencies, visit the job centre, call into some local stores, hotels and restaurants to ask about vacancies or visit the Cardiff Metropolitan Career Development Service or the JobShop. Many students also buy the local newspapers such as The South Wales Echo on Wednesdays and the Western Mail on Thursdays for listings of jobs available in Cardiff that week.

Cardiff Metropolitan Career Development Service offers free, confidential and impartial services to all our students including personal advice, guidance and support based on your particular requirements. Experienced Career Advisors are happy to help you work through decisions and consider potential career options in order for you to make effective job applications. Appointments are normally booked for an hour and you are welcome to go back as often as you need.

For details on the current job vacancies which are available please visit the Career Zone.

The Career Service also offers drop-in sessions with experienced Career Advisors in the Llandaff and Howard Gardens campus. The drop-in sessions are perfect for students who would like a quick ten minute chat with a Career Advisor, no appointment is necessary. For quick enquiries at Cyncoed campus, please drop in and if no-one is available to answer your query, an appointment will be made for you. Cardiff Met also holds part-time job fairs during October and these will be advertised on campus.

The UMAX Jobshop is part of the Students’ Union and is a free service for Cardiff Met students/graduates. The Jobshop provides students and graduates with fantastic job opportunities both on and off campus. We advertise a range of jobs including;

·         Part time
·         Full time
·         Internships
·         Voluntary positions

We advertise the job opportunities on the Students’ Union website and through our social media platforms. Alongside advertising jobs we can help you to tailor application forms and CV’s to particular job roles. All you need to do is pop into the office.

You will need your Passport/Birth Certificate, Visa/eligibility to work in the UK, National Insurance Number and payment details to be able to work.

UMAX Training and Development offers students the chance to improve their employability skills alongside their studies. We offer a range of workshops from CV writing and Interview Skills to Social Media for Employability, Customer Service Skills and more. All of these workshops are completely free for all Cardiff Met students! You can view the full timetable and sign up on our website.

UMAX advice

Please visit us on Llandaff Campus Students’ union office.

Follow us on social media:

Twitter @UMAXstudents and

Cardiff Met has an excellent Careers Development Service based on the Cyncoed Campus.
It provides a range of services for students both in person and virtually and will be available to help you throughout your time at Cardiff Met.

Some of the things the Careers Development Service can offer students and graduates are:

  • One-to one guidance interviews to help you make decisions about your future
  • Help finding information about different occupations, study options and jobs/employers
  • Work experience and work tasters
  • Practical help with all stages of applications for jobs or courses
  • Jobs and careers fairs
  • Advice and information by email
  • E-learning module on Career Development Skills: self-assessment, CV writing, application form completion, interview skills, assessment centres and psychometric tests

When making an application for a job, you are likely to be asked for a National Insurance (NI) number. Like all employed UK citizens, a contribution towards National Insurance will be deducted from your wages before you receive your pay.

If you have never worked in the UK before, you will not have a National Insurance number but you will need to arrange to apply for one as soon as possible if you are intending to work. You can do this by contacting the local Benefits Agency office / Job Centre Plus on 0845 600 0643.

On contacting Job Centre Plus you will be told whether you are able to apply for an NI number via a postal application or whether it is necessary to attend an 'Evidence of identity' interview. Although you need to have a National Insurance number to start work you don't need to have a plastic National Insurance number card.

You will be advised about what documentation you need to take to the interview.
For more information about National Insurance contributions and making an application, please visit