Students holding Tier 4 student or Tier 4 dependant visas who come to the UK to study on a course which is 6 months or longer, are eligible for full health care under the National Health Service (NHS) on the same basis as anyone who is ordinarily resident in the UK. This includes hospital treatment as an in-patient, treatment of any pre-existing conditions you may have as well as registering with a General Practitioner (Doctor).

Prescriptions issued by the doctor are now free of charge to everyone in Wales. Eye tests and dental treatment however, you will have to pay for as these are not covered by the NHS. Student Visitor visa holders and students studying on courses of less than 6 months are advised to take out medical insurance.

You will be pleased to know that there is a nurse available on each campus during term time, for you to call and see if you have any problems and they will be happy to help you. Please check the availability of the nurse on your campus as work hours may differ. The University also has a doctor who visits Cyncoed campus regularly. You will be welcome to register with this doctor if you live on Cyncoed campus or in the surrounding catchment area. Those of you who live out of the catchment area for this facility can register with a doctor’s surgery which is located closer to their home.
When registering with a doctor, you will need to take with you your passport and proof that you are a student (eg your student ID card) and you should ask to be registered as an NHS patient. You will receive a medical card with an NHS number once you are accepted as a patient. Most doctors' surgeries have male and female doctors so please specify if you have a preference.

If you would like to receive free medical advice in a non-emergency situation without going to your doctor you can contact NHS Direct . NHS Direct is a national health line which provides expert health advice and information relating to all health related queries. The health line is operated by qualified health professionals who aim to give you the best advice possible.

The helpline is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. NHS Direct telephone number: 0845 4647
As you are an international student studying at a UK university, you are entitled to register with a dentist free of charge. The following link will take you to the dentists in Cardiff who are currently registering NHS patients free of charge:

For dental emergencies contact your own dental practice. If you have not yet registered with a dentist, you will need to contact the Dental Hospital located in the University Hospital of Wales.

The Dental Hospital, University Hospital of Wales, Heath Park, Cardiff. Telephone: 02920 747747.

There are two sessions per day, Monday – Friday (you are advised to arrive about 8.00am to reserve a space). All appointments are on a first come first served basis.
If an emergency situation arises during your stay in the UK, you should contact the following emergency services, free of charge from any phone:

Fire Brigade 999 Police 999 Ambulance (Medical Emergency only) 999

If you are involved in/or a witness to an emergency situation, this is likely to be a very stressful time for you. Please contact the International Office Welfare Team for support and advice as soon as possible and they will be able to help you. If an emergency occurs outside office hours or on a weekend, please call the university on 029 2041 6070 and ensure that you inform the International Office the following day.